and for the hardened foodies the food and wine excellences with the Certosa Food and Wine Market
(mi-lorenteggio.com) Pavia, 11 November 2022 – Sunday 13 November the appointment with the Certosa di Pavia Food and Wine Market is renewed in the evocative Morimondo (Mi), slow village and orange flag of the circuit of the most beautiful villages in ‘Italy.
Starting at 9 the Corte dei Cistercensi will come alive with the flavors and aromas of the sincere kilometer food and wine excellences that are part of the MEC catalog. Among the delicacies present are rice from Pavese, salami from Varzi, cheeses and cold cuts from Oltrepò, sweet and crunchy offelle from Parona, doc and docg wines, craft beer. And again: honey, jams, spirits, oil, bread and baked goods, fresh pasta, goose salami.
Morimondo is the right place for a trip out of town that combines history, beauty and goodness: enogastronauts and short-range tourists will be able to discover a reality where art and culture merge and where they can let themselves go to the wonder of a beautiful place, full of history and spirituality. Scheduled for Sunday 13 November guided tours in Abbazia and Monastero can be booked on 02 9496 1919 or by writing to Fondazione@abbaziamorimondo.it (info: https://www.abbaziamorimondo.it/visite-all-abbazia). In addition, from 14.30 to 17.30 a fresco workshop for adults (subscriptions at the link https://www.abbaziamorimondo.it/entry-laboratorio-affresco). Finally at 5 pm, at the Abbey Church on concert of the ANA Choir of Abbiategrasso (free admission and, for those who wish, an offer for restoration).
The Abbey of Morimondo is easily accessible by car, train and bicycle.
The story of Morimondo revolves around the events of its abbey and the monks of the Cistercian order who founded it: arrived in 1134, twelve monks from the monastery of Morimond in Burgundy began the construction of the monastery, which was completed only in 1297. The basilica, built in the following period to the construction of the monastery (from 1182), it is today the most important monument of Morimondo. It reflects the design of the Cistercian churches wanted by St. Bernard: grandiose and solemn in contrast with the austerity and poverty of the life of the monks, who are credited with having undertaken the work of reclamation and agricultural enhancement of the territory. The brick exterior is in French Gothic style with Lombard-Romanesque elements; the façade has a gabled cut, the portal is preceded by a pronaos (portico placed in front of the church) added in 1736. A central rose window, mullioned windows, blind openings and others open to the sky define the upper part, crowned by a row of arches that continue on the hips. The interior has a basilica shape, with 3 naves on pillars with cross vaults, with a transept and a rectangular apse. Works: entering on the right you can see a magnificent fourteenth-century stoup with rosettes and fantastic heads. Worthy of note is the choir, commissioned by the monks of Settimo Fiorentino, who settled in Morimondo in 1490, from the Abbiatense carver Francesco Giramo, who completed it in 1522.