After the success of 2021, the Montagna Doc review – Stories of resistance and resilience returns to the Cinema delle Valli in Villar Perosa.
Six events from 29 October to 3 December
From 29 October to 3 December every Saturday at 6:30 pm there will be six events – in viale Galileo Ferraris 2 – dedicated to the mountains and adventure, as physical and spiritual places.
Meetings with directors and experts
Before each screening there will be a themed meeting with guests: directors, journalists, experts and protagonists of the documentaries. All the films – apart from Mario Fantin’s “Riprese” – are linked to Piedmont by setting, production or direction.
Seratina film with RBE TV
The novelty this year will be the transformation of the cinema into a television studio for three of the appointments, thanks to the collaboration between the Cinema delle Valli and the newborn RBE TV based in Luserna San Giovanni. Audience and speakers will be the protagonists of “Seratina film” a space broadcast on Wednesdays at 9pm dedicated to films, documentaries and short films produced in Piedmont in order to enhance them and make them known to the public through television. The films scheduled for 12, 19 and 26 November will be shown on digital terrestrial channel 87 in the provinces of Turin, Cuneo and Asti in the early months of 2023.
Cinema at the service of the community
«Montagna Doc is perhaps the exhibition that most underlines our desire to make Cinema delle Valli a cultural meeting place for the territory – explains Alessandro Gaido, president of the Piemonte Movie Association and director of Cinema delle Valli -. We will not limit ourselves to showing mountain films, but we will put the cinema at the service of the community. At the center of the evenings there will be global themes dropped into the local reality and addressed by qualified speakers. They will be glocal stories, in short, as always. In addition, the review will also be an opportunity to experience a new collaboration with the newborn RBE TV. Transforming the room into a television studio is a fascinating challenge that is worth tackling ».
- Saturday 29 October: “Grafts” by Sandro Bozzolo. Set in Valle Mongia in the Cuneo area, the film tells the story of a silent and formidable battle to recover the centuries-old chestnut groves and their tradition. Sandro Bozzolo and the producer Enrica Viola will be present in the room.
- Saturday 5th November: Mario Fantin’s “Filming”. A great mountaineering feat told with an assembly carried out in 2021 and dedicated to the expedition sponsored by the CAI in 1954 and directed by the geologist Ardito Desio who managed to reach K2 for the first time. Guest in the room Roberto Mantovani, freelance journalist from Torre Pellice and historian of European and extra-European mountaineering.
- Saturday 12 November: “Neve Rosso Sangue” by Daniel Daquino – “Ilmurrán – Maasai in the Alps” by Sandro Bozzolo. The first is dedicated to the massacre of Valmala on 6 March 1945, when nine Garibaldi partisans were killed by the Alpine troops of Monterosa right at the end of the war, while the second documents the experience of Leah and Silvia, a young Maasai and a bergera (shepherdess of sheep) who in 2014 shared the pasture on the pastures of the Maritime Alps. In the hall the director Daniel Daquino and the protagonist Silvia Somà. Event in collaboration with RBE TV.
- Saturday 19th November: “Cannabis Rock” by Franco Fornaris. It is a brief but intense “beat” experience of a group of young Piedmontese climbers who, from 1973 to 1975, revolutionized the traditionalism of the Piedmontese and Italian mountaineering world, transferring the restless and creative climate of ’68 to the rocks. Guest in the hall is the alpinist Andrea Giorda (event in collaboration with RBE TV).
- Saturday 26 November: “The alpinist” by Giacomo Piumatti and Fabio Mancari (guests in the room). The documentary is dedicated to Agostino “Gustin” Gazzera, a Fiat worker in the 1950s, in love with mountaineering who dreams of traveling the mountain routes opened by legendary mountaineers (event in collaboration with RBE TV).
- Saturday 3 December: “On the blue path” by Gabriele Vacis. The 2022 documentary follows a group of autistic children who, in the company of their doctors and educators, walk the 200 km long path of the Via Francigena in nine days. In the room Ornella Giordana (contact person “The Mountain that helps” CAI Turin – CAI Central Hiking Commission), Loretta Costantino (Head of BUM Autism Center Diaconia Valdese) and Emanuele Gabaglio (president of ASD Hiking Trekking).
For all the Montagna Doc screenings, the entrance ticket costs € 6, reduced € 4 with the Community card.
The curators of the exhibition
Montagna Doc is made by
- Piemonte Movie Association – Cinema delle Valli
- in collaboration with RBE TV
with the participation of
- MontagnALIVE pomaretto – mountanhoVIVO
- Waldensian Diaconia Valli
- Bum Autism Center
- Arci Valle Susa Pinerolo
- Cineforum Pinerolo
- Ama – Auto Mortgage Help ODV
The organizers also thank
- Cai Mountain Museum Turin
- Cineteca Cai Milan
- Enrico Camanni
- Enrico Verra